Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Feast Your Eyes "Exhibit"

I went to Feast Your Eyes: The Unexpected Beauty of the Vegetable Garden at the Museum of the Oregon Territory in Oregon City this morning with virtually no expectations, yet still found myself a bit disappointed. To call this Smithsonian Institution (!) display an "exhibit" is an exaggeration. It was, sadly, a collection of boards with text and reproductions of a fraction of the images included in the 142-page Feast Your Eyes book I bought at the gift shop. Not a single original image or artifact was on display. Nonetheless, the 10 or so mostly locally crafted vegetable quilts on display with the exhibit were well worth trekking 20 minutes south and paying $5 to see. My favorite, Tossed Salad, consists of log cabin blocks set on point in mostly chartruese batiks with dashes of purple and yellow. I also appreciated the quilting on an asparagus wall quilt. A third quilt, made up of puzzle blocks in vegetable prints looked fun and not to difficult to piece. Very inspiring...and I can now add vegetable and fruit fabric to my already lengthy list of thread-related obsessions. Anyone ever seen asparagus fabric? The exhibit closes this weekend.

No comments: